Wider Planet considers Internet users’ personal information highly important and complies with the Korean Personal Data Protection Act.
This policy describes in detail the personal protection principles applied to information that Wider Planet collects while providing service.
1.Personal information collected by Wider Planet
Wider Planet does not collect personally identifiable information. Wider Planet anonymously collects information generated when users use the service of Wider Planet or its partner. Information collected while users use the service includes the following.
Wider Planet does not collect personally identifiable information. Wider Planet anonymously collects information generated when a user uses Wider Planet or its partner’s service. Information collected while a user uses the service includes the following.
- Details about the method of using the service (e.g. search word, contents URL, and details)
- Internet protocol address
- Device event information (hardware setting, browser type, browser language, request date and time, and reference URL)
- Cookie that can identify a user’s browser
When a user uses a location-based service, it is possible to collect and process the user’s actual location information. In addition, a user’s location can be found by using various technologies such as a device sensor data provided by nearby Wi-Fi access point and base station. A user’s location information is not stored without separate consent of the user.
1.3.Unique application number
When a user uses Wider Planet or its partner’s service on an application, unique application information can be collected. When a service connects to the Wider Planet server on a regular basis to install/remove an application or request automatic update, installation related information such as unique application number, etc. can be collected. In case of a partner’s application, relevant information is collected only when a partner generates and provides installation information such as application unique number to Wider Planet.
Wider Plant can collect device-specific information such as hardware model, O/S version, unique device identifier, and mobile network information.
1.5.Cookie and anonymous identifier
1.6.Personal information collection for consulting and service request
- Collected information: Personal information such as name, contact number, and e-mail
- Method of information collection: home page (advertising inquiry)
2. Purpose of personal information collection and use
2.1.Purpose of collected information
Wider Planet collects non-personally identifiable information. Collected information is used to provide more relevant customer-targeting contents and advertising, develop new services, and protect Wider Planet users.
Personal information is used to check an inquiry and the person who makes the inquiry, and inform answer to the inquiry.
2.2.Restriction of information use
Wider Planet does not produce segments specifically targeting children younger than 13 years old. In addition, when it shows user-targeting advertisements, it does not link cookies or anonymous identifiers with sensitive information (race, religion, sexual preference, medical record, etc.) and does not process any information to directly or indirectly identify a user.
2.3.Sharing of collected information
Wider Planet can share collected non-personally identifiable information its partners.
2.4.Processing of collected information
As Wider Planet processes collected information on its servers located in different countries across the world, it may process Internet users’ non-personally identifiable information on servers located in countries other than where a user lives.
3. Duration of personal information retention and use
Wider Planet considers customer information security very important and takes actions with industry security standards such as firewalls and encryption. It keeps collected non-personally identifiable information for 12 months from the date of collection and stored cookies are deleted 24 months from the last update.
Once the purpose of information collection and use is achieved, we store relevant information for one year to manage inquiry details and then destroy them.
4. Procedure and method of personal information deletion
In principle, once the purpose of information collection and use is achieved, we delete such information without delay. Procedure and method of deletion are as follows.
Once the purpose is achieved, information provided by a user is moved to a separate DB (file cabinet in case of documents) and stored for a certain period of time (refer to period of retention and use) depending on reasons for information protection under internal policy and relevant laws before deletion. Personal information moved to a separate DB will not be used for another purpose unless stipulated otherwise by law.
Personal information stored in electronic file is deleted by technical method that does not allow re-creation of records.
5. Matters about installation, operation and rejection of automatic collection of personal information
5.1.Rejection of cookie setting
Cookie is a small text file that a server used for running a website sends to a user’s browser, and it is stored in the user’s computer.
By storing the user’s preferred settings through cookie, we support faster web environment for the user and improve services for convenience. Then, the user can easily use service. In addition, we analyze access frequency, access time, level of event participations, pageview, etc. to find users’ preferences and interests. Based on this information, we provide targeting services including advertisements.
A user has options to install a cookie. So, a user can select options on the web browser to allow all cookies, check whenever a cookie is stored, or reject all cookies. If cookie installation is rejected, a user may have inconvenience in using the web and be limited in using some services that require login.
Examples of setting
- In case of Internet Explorer:Select Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Settings on the top menu.
- In case of Chrome:Select Settings > Advanced settings > Content settings of Privacy > Cookie on the right side of the web browser
5.2.User’s Advertising Setup
A user can choose any time not to use targeting advertising from Wider Planet. With advertising setup on the bottom, a user can activate or deactivate advertising.
- If you tick deactivation, advertising from Wider Planet only will be blocked. (Advertising from other platform advertising companies will be still activated.)
- If you delete cookie on the browser or use another Internet browser, you might still receive advertising with ‘advertising activated status’.
- If cookie information on mobile web browser does not match that of mobile app, you are not recognized as a same user and so advertising could be displayed. If you don’t want to get advertising displayed, you should set up Opt-out on both mobile app and web browser.
- To deactivate advertising on mobile app, you should set up deactivation as instructed by Android/IOS.
- Once you set up, interest-based advertising from all providers will be deactivated.
6. Right of users and their legal representatives, and its exercise
For any action on personal information entered for advertising inquiry, contact our personal information administrator by phone or e-mail. We will take an immediate action. If you request correction of incorrect personal information, your information will not be used or provided until correction is completed. And the company handles personal information terminated or deleted as requested by a user, as described in “Duration of personal information retention and use”, and does not allow view or use for purposes other than that.
7. Personal information administrator
The company designates an administrator for managing personal information, and his contact number is as follows:
- Name: Su-Dong Cheong
- E-Mail : email@example.com
Latest update: May 4, 2016